Summer is here! That means tank tops and shorts, flip flops and suntans or sunburns if you’re like me. 🙂 So what can you do to get your home in Summer mode too?
If you’re joining me from my friend Almafied and her Summer Guest Room, Welcome! If you’re just joining the Blog Hop, I’m sharing some of my favorite tips and ideas to bring Summer indoors! Be sure to continue through the links at the end to see what some of my favorite blogging friends are sharing for the Summer Home Love Blog Hop!
In early June the world of leaf and blade and flowers explodes, and every sunset is different. ~ John Steinbeck
Summer makes people smile, open the doors and enjoy the longer days. Whether you want to do some major Summer decorating or just a little refresh, here are some tips and ideas for everyone!
- Declutter and Simplify. Nothing makes a space feel lighter than cleaning it out and nothing makes you feel more carefree than getting rid of “Stuff.”
- Lighten things up. Take off the heavy curtains, put the faux fur pillows and throws away. Add linen and cotton instead. White, gray, pale pink and blue are some of my favorites.
- Flowers, herbs, branches…bring the outdoors in. Whether fresh or faux, adding flowers and greenery makes the space feel fresh and alive! There are some really good faux ones out there!
- Add elements of natural and organic texture. Baskets, Sea Grass rugs, Wood bowls and Bread boards. Terracotta and stone are also great for texture. The more the merrier.
- Add pops of color. Pick one…or a few. It can be bold or a pastel. Nothing says Summer more than some color.
Now let me show you how I’ve added these ideas to my kitchen and dining area.
*Affiliate links have been used, at no additional cost to you.
I recently fell in love with this wood shelving unit and couldn’t wait for it to arrive. This, in turn, caused me to do Tip #1. Declutter and Simplify! I have said it before…though I love the idea of being a minimalist…I’m more of a mediumist. 🙂 I love my collections and all the pretty things I’ve gathered. I can’t bare to get rid of them all. So I put a few things away and tried to display the ones that I loved most and created the look I wanted.
I love all the wood, the touches of rustic farmhouse charm and of course open shelving. I love open shelving!
I lightened the dining space up with new chairs and a bench. I added the pops of white, light wood and organic texture I mentioned. I’m so in love with my new dining area. It is more my style and works so well with the space and it’s perfect for Summer.
Fresh herbs and lots of faux greenery were a must…gives the feel of an old European Kitchen. Unfortunately, it’s so hot here in Florida so I don’t get to garden as much as I like, but herbs and certain plants are easy to grow on the back porch. I picked up a couple of these aged Terracotta pots to add the perfect touch!
I did make another change that wasn’t on the list. We changed out our kitchen chandelier. This new one from Hudson Valley Lighting is the perfect compliment to the other light fixtures in the space. The aged brass finish mixed with Edison bulbs is exactly our style. Between the color and the open design it really makes the kitchen feel bigger and this gorgeous fixture is a definite statement.
Pictures don’t do this beauty justice. It has a mid-century, industrial, modern and vintage design all in one. My favorite engineer Mr. BeesNBurlap installed it for me! 😉 I’m very happy with this big change!
What’s Summer without flowers? I clipped some branches from my Crape Myrtle trees that are in full bloom. Added a bowl full of lemons and it instantly feels like Summer! An easy change that anyone can do. Add stems, branches, fruit, and herbs to your kitchen. I guarantee it will make you smile!
So there you have it… a peek at my Summer refreshed Kitchen and Dining space. I love the feel of the lightened furniture, the new chandelier and the simple addition of flowers and herbs and a few new accessories. I’ve linked some sources below for a few of my items and similar ones.
Because some of the items I used are vintage or one of a kind…I sourced what I could and shared some similar options. 🙂
- Rattan Dining Armchair
- White Side Chairs
- White Dining Bench and some similar ones…Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
- DemiJohn Bottle – Option 1 Option 2 Option 3 Option 4
- Wood Shelving Unit Option 1 Option 2
- Rustic Terracotta Pots Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
- Plants & Herbs ToGoGarden (Use BNBReader for 10% off)
- Faux Florals AFloral (Use BEESNBURLAP10 for 10% off $50 or more)
- Copper Pieces Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
If you want sources on anything not listed…please leave me a comment below. 🙂
In Florida, it feels like Summer for about 8 months of the year. I’m ready! I try to decorate with things/items I love and can easily change out. I hope some of my tips and ideas will help you out. Follow me on Instagram for more pictures of this space, FB and Pinterest as well as here on the Blog so you don’t miss what I do next! With me, you never know! 😉
Be sure to see what my friends are doing in their homes for the Summer Home Love Blog Hop! Starting with my friend Lea at CreekwoodHill !!
Thanks for stopping by!
See you soon!